Friday, August 31, 2012

Today never ends.

No time for funniness. Must get right down to business.  Yeah, we all know that won't happen with me.  Today wasn't my best day. This morning (prep time) was good.  I got everything done that I needed to plus a little more.  School was going well for most of the day; then, it happened!  The sewage pipes burst and everyone had to breathe in the stench of moldy water and you know what.  Can you even imagine how horrible that was?!?! Alright, let me rephrase that. Can you even imagine how horrible that would have been?  Okay, so i'm trying to make light of the real situation; which in comparison to the previously thought of situation, really wasn't that bad.

Here's how things really went down. I set up my classroom and decided that the kids were only going to do puzzles before lunch. This seemed to make things easier because then they weren't getting everything out then having to put it all away not long after.  There were some kids who had difficulty following this new routine but overall, it will be a nice change.  

Lunch was good, the students are starting to get used to going back to their seats after they're done eating instead of going to play right away.  The aspect of going to play right after eating, that's a home thing.  There is no way that's happening in my classroom.  Lunch is going to be for talking with others and working on manners. 

Though the course of the day we did lots of practicing of daily routines, as well as fire drill practice (which went really well, in short terms).  An hour before the end of the day, we were at the carpet, meeting as a group.  Would you like to take a stab at what happened? I'll give you a hint.  It doesn't have to do with sewage pipes, volcanos, markers, or globes.  Yes, I was thinking of random things around the room.  Okay, here's what happened.  One of the students decided to throw a temper tantrum.  Yes, i have two other people in the room; however, Im am the only certified teacher.  What did I end up doing?  I moved my class to a different part of the room so it would be easier for them to concentrate on the book we were reading, instead of the screaming child.  This would have been a good idea had the upset child not been told to go join us!  The boy got up and ran to the group, and disrupted the story again.  At this point, I had one of the other teachers take over reading the book and I went to sit by the upset child.  I asked him to go on a walk with me and he declined, by kicking me and whining some more.  I told him that when he was ready to go back with the group, he could tell me.  About 40 minutes later, he was ready to join everyone.  I said okay, but we had a small talk first about what we should do when we get upset, instead of kicking and screaming.  

By the time the day was over I was, and still am, ready to be done.  Honestly, today I wondered why I went into education.  Because I love kids?  Because I want to spark creativity and allow for exploration?  These may be valid points, but at this time, they don't seem like rational reasons.  

Tonight it supposed to be 'Horrible Movie Night', well, it still is, I'm just not going.  I have too much to do.  Yes, mom, 'Welcome to teaching'. I've got my lessons for next week to do, all due tonight, I might add.  Have I started them?  Don't be silly, leaving WI didn't change my procrastination habits.     Moving might have changed my cooking habits though.  They're still not wonderful (and never will be)  but after tonight, I can officially say I've made a burger on the stove and there was no pink in it!!  stove-0 Lauren-1.  Oh wait, smoke filled house-1 Lauren 0.  Does this leave me at 0?  

Alright, math can't be my forte tonight, it's got to be lesson writing.  Au revior <3

Oh, by the way, in case you're wondering, here's my schedule for while i'm in the church basement.

Monday:  8:30-12 (with kids) 12-4 (prep)
Tuesday-Friday:  7:30-12:30 (prep) 12:30-4 (with kids)

No comments:

Post a Comment