Thursday, August 30, 2012

The Fishy Experience.


Dear Readers,
Today was my first Saturday Work Day. I woke up pumped and ready to work, thankfully. Apparently, Macs don’t have ‘Paint’ so I had to trace and color all of the pictures I needed for my schedule. I worked hard on this all day, come to find out that I could have been done in 1/3 of the time. No, I couldn’t have worked faster, I just could have worked smarter. I overlooked my scheduling plans and colored too many pictures. Eventually, I got my schedule and Lab labels completed. I only need to label them now, then I can put them in my room!!! :)
I tried a new food today. It’s called fish! haha :) I really did though. I had baked halibut and fried cod. Hats off to Nick, excellent chef! I also filled up on veggies, rice-a-roni, and couse-couse with sweet peas and chicken. Group dinner again soon please?
I head to Nome tomorrow, guess for what – more inservice. Even after this long last week I’m actually pretty excited. I do get to meet with Kewarek, which is the group that will be teaching the 3 year olds. I haven’t been able to do anything with my classroom because the 3 and 4 year olds will be using the same classroom while we’re in the church basement; which means I’m not the only one that needs to be okay with the classroom set up. I will also get to see Sammy at inservice!! I met her at Welcome Wagon and we hit it off right away. Both of us are ECE teachers (ECE is the only group going to Nome) and are full of ‘sillies’. Amy’s cooler will be going with me to Nome as well. I intend on bringing back perishable food items myself, that way they won’t look like squashed grapes by the time I return.
I also got to experience my first eskimo birthday party tonight. Birthdays here are a bit different. Instead of having cake, ice cream, and presents, there are many choices of cakes, pies, and other desserts, as well as a different gift giving theory. Presents are still given, but they’re not planned. When someone has a birthday party, you’re invited to go right then, not in a week or two. The reason for this is because when one has a party, not everyone is called right way, that way people can come in shifts to make seating/eating easier (see below to understand this more clearly). It’s common for guests to give a dollar (or more) to the birthday person, in the ‘money cup’. This money can be used for whatever the birthday person chooses. I know, that part is similar. One does not have to give money, gifts (often books) are welcome as well. Seating is also different. When arriving at a party, one should go to the living room, not towards the table right away. When there is a spot open at the table, the person next (in line, sitting in the living room) goes to the table to eat. When done eating, he removes himself from the table right away to make room for someone else – this continues until all of the guests have eaten.
At my first eskimo birthday party there were all sorts of sweets: Chocolate cake, white cake, red velvet cake, funfetti cake, apple pie, pumpkin pie, cheesecake, berries (with surgar), cinnamon rolls, spaghetti, and much more. The beverage of choice was one I hadn’t had in a long while, Tang!! You know, the orange powder stuff you used to love when you were little; well, now it’s gross! Trust me, no need to try it again for yourself.
It’s almost midnight here folks and my eyes are closing as I type.
Much love!
Lauren

(Copied from original blog - Aug 19)

No comments:

Post a Comment