Monday, September 3, 2012

Take The Plunge!


This was going to be posted last night but the internet wasn’t working…stupid weather. 

Oh, the early hours of the morning came too fast today.  I got up and laid in bed for a while, but eventually got up and headed to the church basement.  I got as much ready as I could for today.  I will be adding water to the sand/water table tomorrow.  There’s no running water in the church so I will have to transport the water down there.  I will also be rearranging the room a little bit.  I set up the dramatic play area on one end of the room in attempt to keep the kids out of another area.  This didn’t seem to work.  Instead, the kids like to hide behind the dramatic play items because then I can’t see them from the carpet.  Due to this, I’m trading spaces with the sand/water table and the dramatic play area. 

Here’s the big part of the day.  I did the ‘Polar Plunge’!!  Okay, so it wasn’t the real thing but it was similar.  A bunch of us, teachers, took the Honda with the trailer and went over to the arctic circle.  We took our before picture and then ran into the water.  The whole time I was running into the water, I was thinking about swimming with Nessie in Scotland.  Once I got further out however, all I could think about was how cold the water was.  I swallowed the nasty salt water and got up the courage to dunk my head.  Even though I found the courage, I didn’t have a choice.  We had all agreed that we were going underwater; if we didn’t, the plunge didn’t qualify.  After I went underwater, the water did seem nicer. I was further out in the water, with Nick.  Everyone else was headed back to shore but we were enjoying the excitement.  Nick and I took pictures in the water, I of him, and him of me.  Then what happened?  The wave came.  The big, big wave, that really wasn’t that big, but it was for how cold it was outside.  Anyway, I went under and it turned me around.  I came back up and was trying to gain my balance back and there was Nick, at a loss of words.  Take a guess why?  Giving up so soon?  You don’t need to think hard about this one.  Half the top of the suit came off.  Yep, I was just ‘hanging out’ bahahahahhaha. Eventually, the loss of words was no longer and I took care of the top.  The best way I could come up with to get him back was to tell him to wipe the snot off of his face:  I know, it doesn’t even come close.  Well, after the plunge, I got to drive the Honda back!!!! Yep, that’s still an exciting thing for me. 

After swimming I showered at school, where there’s plumbing!  After that, do you want to take a guess what I did?  No?  Are you sick of guessing?  I’ll tell you.  I dropped my stuff off at home then headed back to school to work on more stuff. 
Even though I was sick of working on stuff for the day, I still accomplished a couple things.  I completed my calendar for birthdays, got my job chart figured out, and determined the order I’m going to use for the math activity cards (the cards are mandatory).  My new favorite school related task though is this:  shopping for my classroom!!!!! I got to look through all of the magazines and decide what I want for my classroom.  Of course, the list will have to be approved, but I did find some pretty sweet things! As I was looking though each of the magazines, I was thinking about when I have my own room. There are only so many things we have at the little school and everything needs to be shared.  Both the 3 and 4 year old classes use the same general curriculum so the themes are the same.  This means, each week, the dramatic play, science, math, blocks, art, sand/water table, etc will need to be about the same set up.  Due to this, we need how many of each thing do you think?  Exactly, I found some things that could work in both rooms, but mine mostly.  I mean, if you were finding things for your classroom, would you buy something that wouldn’t work for you?  I’ll list a few things that I put on my list for my classroom:  an easel (whiteboard/magnetic), alphabet activity balls, multicultural crayons, finger paint, magnetic letters, music CD’s, an organizer for me, a bug sorting kit, a weather board, and geo boards.  Don’t know what geo boards are?  Don’t worry, I’ll tell ‘ya!  They’re typically square boards that have peg like sticks sticking out of them so rubber bands can be wrapped around them.  These are used for children when they’re working on geometry mostly, but they’re really fun to just make rubber band pictures with too. 

I think I’m getting sick so I’m going to hit the hay.  The warmth of my blankets and pillows should help the monstrous headache I’ve got. 

<3 Stay well!

1 comment:

  1. Great swimming story, Lauren. I like the part about going "over to the artic circle." For those of us in the lower 48, that's thousands of miles.

    ReplyDelete